Dan Lanning hitting right notes on trail as Oregon welcomes star-studded list of visitors
To close out the month of June, Dan Lanning turned Eugene into a who’s who of elite 2023 recruits.
Over the weekend, the Oregon Ducks welcomed a list of visitors to campus that included 12 official visitors and five unofficial visitors for the 2023 class as well as a handful of other prospects from the 2024 and 2025 cycles. Here’s the list of 2023 visitors, with guys on unofficials listed at the bottom:
- 5-star EDGE Matayo Uiagalelei (No. 21 overall)
- 5-star RB Richard Young (No. 24)
- 4-star EDGE Jayden Wayne (No. 41)
- 4-star DL Dashawn Womack (No. 106)
- 4-star OT Mile McVay (No. 183)
- 4-star EDGE Blake Purchase (No. 237)
- 4-star LB Blake Nichelson (No. 251)
- 4-star RB commit Dante Dowdell (No. 253)
- 4-star DL Terrance Green (No. 288)
- 3-star DL My’Keil Gardner (No. 486)
- 3-star IOL Alani Noa (No. 751)
- 3-star IOL Micah Banuelos (No. 787)
- 5-star QB Dante Moore (No. 12)
- 5-star EDGE Samuel M’Pemba (No. 26)
- 4-star DL Texas A&M commit Johnny Bowens (No. 238)
- 4-star S Rahmir Stewart (No. 247)
- 3-star ATH Onterrio Smith Jr.
The first thing that jumps out is the simple fact that’s a ridiculous amount of talent to get on campus in one weekend. One of Lanning’s priorities in assembling his first coaching staff was finding guys who would not only develop NFL draft picks but recruit blue-chippers who could help Oregon compete for titles. When that’s the goal, this is what the visit list needs to look like.
The second thing that stands out? Look at all the defensive talent. Seven 4- or 5-star prospects who play at or along the defensive line. Lanning’s background is such that he should have no issues attracting premier defensive talent, but boy, oh boy, is that quite the group.
The situation with Moore is one to monitor closely going forward. The Ducks are trending hard for the Detroit prospect and it would appear he enjoyed his time in Eugene.
Dante Moore & Richard young seem to be enjoying their visit🦆🦆 pic.twitter.com/uquOUKqNNZ
— keef (@keefgocrazy) June 25, 2022
And snapped a photo with a former Heisman Trophy winner.
— Dante MOORE (@dantemoore05) June 27, 2022