Football Scoop has trio of Pac-12 coaches among 25 highest-paid o-line coaches in football
In any conversation about the most important positions on a football team, there’s consensus on No. 1. In a number of circles, there’s even consensus on the No. 2 spot—the offensive line. What do coaches every week all over the country say when asked to give “keys to the game?” They all say some variation of “we have to win the line of scrimmage.”
The very best in college football have the very best offensive lines. It isn’t a position group a head coach can cheap out on when it comes to assembling a staff. So it should come as no surprise that 10 of the highest-paid offensive line coaches in the country belong to SEC schools.
The Pac-12 has three among the top 25, according to a list compiled by Football Scoop’s Zach Barnett.
Oregon’s Adrian Klemm is tied with Ohio State’s Justin Frye for the sixth-highest salary among college football offensive line coaches. Klemm, a former assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was brought to Eugene this offseason to serve on first-time head coach Dan Lanning’s staff. And one month ago Klemm helped Oregon land 5-star 2022 prospect Josh Conerly Jr. after the Ducks spent most of his recruitment trying to make up ground.
Thirteenth on the list is Arizona’s Brennan Carroll. Carroll is entering his second season in Tucson as the Wildcats’ offensive coordinator in addition to his duties as line coach. He spent the previous six seasons as running game coordinator and offensive line coach for the Seattle Seahawks. Interestingly enough, according to Football Scoop, Carroll makes just a tad more than the line coach for the national championship-winning Georgia Bulldogs.
Utah’s Jim Harding rounds out the Pac-12 group at No. 18. The Utes’ offensive line coach makes $600,000 a year, according to Football Scoop. He has been on coach Kyle Whittingham’s staff for eight years, helping to establish the Utah front as one of the most consistent in the sport.
It doesn’t seem to be a coincidence that two of the three coach for the defending Pac-12 North and South division winners. Carroll and Arizona are also a trendy pick to be significantly improved in 2022.
Here’s the full list of the highest-paid o-line coaches in college football:
1. Kyle Flood, Texas — $1.175 million
2. Chris Kapilovic, Michigan State — $1 million+
3. Sherrone Moore, Michigan — $900,000+
4. Eric Wolford, Alabama — $900,000
5. Brad Davis, LSU — $830,000
6. Justin Frye, Ohio State — $800,000+
6. Adrian Klemm, Oregon — $800,000+
8. Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma — $770,000
9. Glen Elarbee, Tennessee — $750,000
10. Joe Rudolph, Virginia Tech — $725,000+
11. Will Friend, Auburn — $700,000
12. Cody Kennedy, Arkansas — $700,000
13. Brennan Carroll, Arizona — $660,000
14. Stacy Searels, Georgia — $650,000
15. Alex Atkins, Florida State — $625,000
15. Bob Bostad, Wisconsin — $625,000
15. Zach Yenser, Kentucky — $625,000
18. Jim Harding, Utah — $600,000+
19. Greg Adkins, South Carolina — $550,000
19. Charlie Dickey, Oklahoma State — $550,000
19. Marcus Johnson, Missouri — $550,000
22. Brandon Jones, Houston — $500,000+
23. Mason Miller, Mississippi State — $495,000+
24. Bart Miller, Illinois — $475,000
25. Thomas Austin, Clemson — $450,000
25. John Garrison, NC State — $450,000